Saturday, February 5, 2011

First Laser Treatment

Yesterday was Elliot's first laser treatment at the University of Michigan. All of the doctors and nurses were so nice and informative. We started out in Pre-op where they took his vitals and got him in a gown. The doctor and anesthesiologist cam in to talk to us about the procedure beforehand. The only question I had was "how many kids have you put to sleep that haven't woke up." I was relieved to hear the answer was ZERO. That's when I decided that we were finally going through with this. At 2 pm  Emily, the anesthesiologist, took Elliot down to the operating room while Rob and I were moved out to a waiting area. Within 15 minutes the doctor was out to tell me that everything went well and they would be paging us in about 20-30 minutes. About 5 minutes later we were heading down to the recovery room. Elliot had woke up and wanted to nurse. As I'm walking into recovery I thought it was odd that I couldn't hear my baby screaming as he was suppose to be very hungry. The nurse walks me into his room where another nurse was holding Elliot and feeding him a bottle of Similac. After I picked my jaw up off the floor (this was his first formula, he's 100% breastfed) I bit my tongue to play nice. I did find it very rude that they would feed my baby formula without my knowledge. I didn't have it in me to argue though, and he seemed content. :)

At first the swelling was mild, as were the polka dots on his face. I nursed him and snuggled until we were released. By the time we made it home his eye was swollen shut and the dots were taking on more of a purple/black color. Thankfully I had prepared myself for this in the prior weeks thanks to Google. I wasn't fully prepared for the amount of swelling, but I'll deal.

Today Elliot seems pretty happy, basically his normal self. He's smiley and getting used to only seeing out of one eye. I hope the swelling goes down quickly!

I will post pics later of after the procedure. Thanks for following!

No comments: